Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The future of electronic music instruments


Since the first ancient instruments of the past were made, such as a flute from animal bones, musical instruments have evolved over time, adding stringed instruments, percussive instruments, and electronic instruments. I have set out to bring a very unique electronic to the market with my company, Red Audio. However, it has recently come to my attention that my real competition has just opened up shop.

Music Computing is the name of the challenger. Former head of Open Labs, Victor Wong, founded music Computing. His former company specialized in pretty unique music workstations with built in computers. His most recent conquest sets out to crush his former company and move forward with the advancement of electronic instruments and workstations.

Music Computing currently offers three state of the art new products. The Studio Blade, a hardware keyboard with built in computer for a complete music production station including microphone preamps, inputs, multiple outputs, and a plethora of midi controlling knobs, sliders, and buttons. The iKey dock, a hardware keyboard that docks with any laptop and instantly creates a full blown production station with microphone preamps, inputs, outputs, and the same insane amount of midi controllers. Finally, their most interesting products to me, their touch screen products.  Music Computing now offers a product very similar to the idea I originally had going, but not fully there with my idea just yet. This product, the MotionCOMMAND work center offers users a complete touch screen resolution to music production.  This is fantastic in the sense that people would naturally love to be able to use their hands and not a mouse, this also shows the innovation and direction of which the future of electronic instruments are going.

When I found this out I was very excited about these products, as my ideas for my company are similar and the touch screen workstation assures me that my ideas are on point and going in the right direction. What I offer still stands its ground as the only product that would be like it, however, I believe that Music Computing will either become my main competition, or perhaps I could partner up with them on a new product idea. Like they say, “If you can’t beat em, join em”

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog topic! I like how you introduced your post with a quick and basic description about how music instruments have evolved since the dawn of time. This is only the latest iteration of music instrument evolution and will further lower the barriers to entry for aspiring artists.

    ReplyDelete